The Hilton Head Jazz Camp was formed in order to provide instrumental students in middle and high school a fun and intensive summer jazz experience. Many times, school music programs do not have the time in the school year to expose students to the many styles of jazz, teach improvisation and work with an incredible faculty who plays their specific instrument. Music Director James Berry founded the Hilton Head Jazz Camp in 2011 with his longtime friend and saxophonist extraordinaire, Josh Kravette, modeled after a similar camp he co-directed in New Hampshire. The Hilton Head Jazz Camp not only provides a terrific week of summer music for our students, but has the advantage of being located in beautiful Hilton Head, SC and sponsored by the non-profit Junior Jazz Foundation. Since our start in 2011 with only 9 students attending the camp, this past summer we hosted nearly 80 students, representing 26 schools across the eastern United States.
Students who attend the all-day Hilton Head Jazz Camp (taking place from July 10-15, 2017 this year), often find their love for music and playing their instrument reignited by the exciting schedule of big band and combo rehearsals, masterclasses, theory, improv and optional private lessons. With 15 full-time faculty including our artist-in-residence, students get to work intensively in their small and large ensembles, improv, theory, and composition classes with amazing results. Several other fun activities are also added in during the week during lunchtime and in the evenings. After all of our hard work, our finale concert takes place on Saturday, July 15, 2017 and is open to the public. Last year’s finale concert attracted over 450 guests and was a huge success!
- A world-class 15 full-time faculty from all across the United States, with two professional musicians for each instrument studied at the camp
- Our comprehensive program offering students areas of focus from big band to vocal jazz to our unique jazz strings program
- Our elective courses including jazz history, music technology, composition, advanced theory, vocal jazz ensemble and much more!
- A 5:1 faculty to student ratio, giving each student an opportunity to learn from a master teacher
- Superior overnight accommodations and cuisine to most summer camps
- An incredibly affordable camp compared to our competitors
- The natural beauty and surroundings of the Hilton Head region, with access to the world renowned Jazz Corner.
- Above all, the encouraging and welcoming atmosphere that you can expect in the Lowcountry!
Register online for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp at hhjazzcamp.eventbrite.com
Stay up-to-date by visiting our Facebook Page! =)