Welcome to the website for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, the premier summer jazz camp located in beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina. Our jazz camp is available to aspiring intermediate and advanced music students ages 12-20 in middle school, high school and college who wish to improve their jazz skills with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty. In 2015, we had 75 students representing 28 schools attend the Hilton Head Jazz Camp from all across the United States. This summer, we are also offering a beginner jazz clinic and new jazz guitar institute. All of our programs are hosted at Hilton Head Christian Academy, a 13-acre campus, only 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean!
Registration is now closed for the 2016 camp, however we would love to see you at the Finale Concert.
Click below to purchase your tickets for the July 16th Finale Concert, taking place @ 2pm at the Seahawk Cultural Center located on the campus of Hilton Head High School, 70 Wilborn Road.
Read through our program descriptions below:
• Hilton Head Jazz Camp (July 11-16, 2016): An intensive week-long camp with 14 full-time professional faculty and national artist-in-resident. With a combination of large big bands, small combos, theory, improv, jam sessions, elective courses, masterclasses and performances, this camp is geared towards intermediate to advanced upper middle and high school students. Fun activities include an ice cream social, faculty recital, private concert at the award winning Jazz Corner, family beach night and camp BBQ. The week concludes with two main performances, a Friday evening camp recital and Saturday afternoon grand finale performance. The 2015 finale performance attracted over 450 guests. Open to students both local and out-of-town with optional overnight accommodations available, ages 12-20 recommended with 3+ years playing experience. Register online at hhjazzcamp.eventbrite.com!
• Hilton Head Jazz Clinic (July 5-8, 2016): A 3-hour daily jazz clinic with college jazz camp alumni, and finale performance. Instruction is a combination of private lessons, small combos, with instruction in theory/improv geared towards beginning students. A final clinic performance will be held in the HHCA Performing Arts Center on the final day. Open locally to beginning students ages 10-14. One year of band experience recommended. Register online at hhjazzclinic.eventbrite.com!
• Hilton Head Jazz Guitar Institute (NEW for 2016) (July 5-8, 2016): A four day intensive guitar program for aspiring jazz guitarists with separate sessions for students and adults led by Savannah’s own Jackson Evans. A final clinic performance will be held in the HHCA Performing Arts Center on the final day. Open locally to ages 10-adult. Two years of guitar experience recommended. Register online at hhjazzguitar.eventbrite.com!
If you are looking at the Hilton Head Jazz Camp for the first time, browse our site to see more details about our location, schedule, tuition rates, placement audition process, scholarship availability, lodging options and read about our terrific faculty here at the HHJC. What are the reasons for choosing the Hilton Head Jazz Camp?
Here are a few stand-out features to our camp including:
- Overnight accommodations for out-of-town students with additional evening activities
- Our artist-in-residence program featuring bassist/vocalist Nicki Parrott, former bassist for the Les Paul Trio
- An expanded daily schedule offering new elective courses
- More scholarship availability, automatic discounts, and much more!
- Brand new fine-arts facilities at Hilton Head Christian Academy, including a new band room, large classroom spaces and Performing Arts Center
- A mid-week private lunch and masterclass at the Jazz Corner, one of the “top 100 jazz clubs in the world” according to Downbeat magazine.
- Two finale concerts: Friday evening at HHCA’s Performing Arts Center (5:30pm) and Saturday afternoon (2pm) at the premier performance venue, the Seahawk Cultural Center. Both concerts are open to the public. Two complimentary tickets are given for each student for the finale concert.
- 15 full-time professional faculty (an incredible 4:1 faculty to student ratio)
- Fresh daily lunch offerings, included for all students attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp.
We are proudly part of the Junior Jazz Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, which aims to promote jazz education for the next generation. In addition to the Junior Jazz Foundation, we are supported by the ASCAP Foundation Irving Caesar Fund, Delta Sigma Theta and a number of private donors. If you have any questions or are interested in the supporting the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, contact us, or join our Facebook group.
Private Scholarship Donors