Welcome to the website for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, the premier summer jazz camp located in beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina. Our jazz camp is available to aspiring intermediate and advanced music students ages 14-20 in middle school, high school and college who wish to improve their jazz skills with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty. This year, our camp will take place from July 10-15, daily from 9am-4pm with additional evening performances and activities.
In 2016, we had nearly 100 students representing 28 schools attend the Hilton Head Jazz Camp or one of our other summer jazz programs. In addition to the main camp, we are again offering our beginner jazz clinic (ages 10-14) and new jazz guitar institute (ages 12-18) June 26-29 daily from 1-4pm. All of our programs are hosted at Hilton Head Christian Academy, a 13-acre campus, only 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean!
Read through our program descriptions below:
• Hilton Head Jazz Camp (recommended ages 14-20): $349 including full day camp with 15 full-time professional faculty (July 10-15, 9am-4pm) with a camp recital and finale performance. With a combination of large big bands, small combos, theory, improv, elective courses, masterclasses and performances, this premier jazz camp is geared towards intermediate to advanced middle and high school students. Tuition also includes a daily catered lunch & all daytime activities, masterclasses, and 2 complimentary tickets to the finale performance on July 15th at 2pm. Students will be billed for tuition following the completion of registration. Please note that the registration fee is separate from tuition. Students should have had 3+ years of playing experience, but no audition is required for entry into the camp. Placement auditions will be held on the first day of camp to determine the appropriate ensemble for our students. Register for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp today @ hhjazzcamp.eventbrite.com.
• Hilton Head Jazz Clinic (recommended ages 10-14): $149 includes a 3-hour daily jazz clinic with college jazz camp alumni (June 26-29, 1pm-4pm), music trip to Savannah, and finale performance on June 29. Our third annual jazz clinic is a combination of private lessons, small combos, with instruction in theory/improv geared towards beginning students beginning their journey into jazz and improvisation. Only one year of playing experience is required for this clinic. This clinic also includes a music trip to Savannah on the morning of Wednesday, June 28 with a tour of JodiJazz and Benedetto guitars. A final clinic performance will be held in the HHCA Performing Arts Center on Thursday, June 29th at 5pm. No audition is required. Students will be billed for tuition following the completion of registration. Please note that the registration fee is separate from tuition. Register online @ hhjazzclinic.eventbrite.com.
• Hilton Head Jazz Guitar Institute (recommended ages 10-17): $149 includes a 3-hour daily jazz guitar clinic (June 26-29, 1pm-4pm) with Savannah’s own Jackson Evans, music trip to Savannah, and finale performance on June 29. This new program is offered as a way for guitarists to have a grasp on how to play jazz in a non-competitive setting. At least two to three years of playing experience is a pre-requisite for the jazz guitar institute. This program is a highly recommended for any guitarists who also plan on attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp. Also included is a music trip to Savannah on the morning of Wednesday, June 28th with a tour of JodiJazz and Benedetto guitars. A final joint performance with the jazz clinic students will be held in the HHCA Performing Arts Center on Thursday, June 29th at 5pm. No audition is required. Students will be billed for tuition following the completion of registration. Please note that the registration fee is separate from tuition. Register online @ hhjazzguitar.eventbrite.com.
If you are looking at the Hilton Head Jazz Camp for the first time, browse our site to see more details about our location, schedule, tuition rates, placement audition process, scholarship availability, lodging options and read about our terrific faculty here at the HHJC. What are the reasons for choosing the Hilton Head Jazz Camp?
Here are a few stand-out features to our camp including:
- Overnight accommodations for out-of-town students with additional evening activities
- Our artist-in-residence program featuring bassist/vocalist Nicki Parrott, former bassist for the Les Paul Trio
- An expanded daily schedule offering new elective courses
- More scholarship availability, automatic discounts, and much more!
- Brand new fine-arts facilities at Hilton Head Christian Academy, including a new band room, large classroom spaces and Performing Arts Center
- A mid-week private lunch and masterclass at the Jazz Corner, one of the “top 100 jazz clubs in the world” according to Downbeat magazine.
- Two finale concerts: Friday evening at HHCA’s Performing Arts Center (5:30pm) and Saturday afternoon (2pm) at the premier performance venue, the Seahawk Cultural Center. Both concerts are open to the public. Two complimentary tickets are given for each student for the finale concert.
- In addition to the normal jazz camp offerings, we offer a special jazz orchestral strings program with Ricardo Ochoa and vocal jazz program with Nicki Parrott
- 15 full-time professional faculty (an incredible 4:1 faculty to student ratio)
- Fresh daily lunch offerings, included for all students attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp.
We are proudly part of the Junior Jazz Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, which aims to promote jazz education for the next generation. In addition to the Junior Jazz Foundation, we are supported by the ASCAP Foundation Irving Caesar Fund, Delta Sigma Theta and a number of private donors. If you have any questions or are interested in the supporting the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, contact us, or join our Facebook group.
Stay up-to-date by visiting our Facebook Page!