Welcome to the website for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, an incredible summer music camp in beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina. Our jazz camp (July 6-11) and brand new jazz clinic (June 29-July 2) is open to aspiring music students ages 10-20 in middle school, high school and college who wish to improve their jazz skills with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty. In 2014, we had over 70 students representing 26 schools join us from all across the East Coast! Both the camp and clinic are hosted at Hilton Head Christian Academy, a 13-acre campus, only 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean!
For both the main Hilton Head Jazz Camp and the brand new Hilton Head Jazz Clinic, all that is required is a $50 registration fee to hold your spot for these exciting summer camp offerings.
Read the camp descriptions below to see what may fit your summer plans:
• Hilton Head Jazz Clinic (recommended ages 10-14): $129 includes a 3-hour daily jazz clinic with college jazz camp alumni (June 29-July 2, 1pm-4pm), and finale performance on July 2. Students will be billed for tuition following the completion of registration. Our new jazz clinic is a combination of private lessons, small combos, with instruction in theory/improv geared towards beginning students. A final clinic performance will be held in the HHCA Performing Arts Center on Thursday, July 2nd at 5pm. No audition is required. Students will be billed for tuition following the completion of registration. Register for the Hilton Head Jazz Clinic @ hhjazzclinic.eventbrite.com
• Hilton Head Jazz Camp (recommended ages 14-20): $329 including full day camp with 12 full-time professional faculty (July 6-11, 9am-4pm) with a camp recital and finale performance. With a combination of large big bands, small combos, theory, improv, elective courses, masterclasses and performances, this camp is geared towards intermediate to advanced middle and high school students. Tuition also includes an in-house chef prepared lunch & all daytime activities, masterclasses, and 2 complimentary tickets to the finale performance on July 11th at 2pm. Students will be billed for tuition following the completion of registration. Students should have had 3+ years of playing experience, but no audition is required for entry into the camp. Placement auditions will be held on the first day of camp to determine the appropriate ensemble for our students. Register for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp today @ hhjazzcamp.eventbrite.com.
Note: For the 2015 jazz camp, we are out of capacity for drummers. Everyone else may still register, especially BRASS! =)
If you are looking at the Hilton Head Jazz Camp for the first time, browse our site to see more details about our location, schedule, tuition rates, placement audition process, scholarship availability, lodging options and read about our terrific faculty here at the HHJC. What are the reasons for choosing the Hilton Head Jazz Camp? Here are a few stand-out features to our camp including:
- Overnight accommodations for out-of-town students with additional evening activities
- Our artist-in-residence program featuring bassist/vocalist Nicki Parrott, former bassist for the Les Paul Trio
- An expanded daily schedule offering new elective courses
- More scholarship availability, automatic discounts, and much more!
- Brand new fine-arts facilities at Hilton Head Christian Academy, including a new band room, large classroom spaces and Performing Arts Center
- A mid-week private lunch and masterclass at the Jazz Corner, one of the “top 100 jazz clubs in the world” according to Downbeat magazine.
- Two finale concerts: Friday evening at HHCA’s Performing Arts Center (5:30pm) and Saturday afternoon (2pm) at the premier performance venue, the Seahawk Cultural Center. Both concerts are open to the public. Two complimentary tickets are given for each student for the finale concert.
- 14 full-time professional faculty (an incredible faculty to student ratio)
- Fresh daily lunch offerings, included for all students attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp.
We are proudly part of the Junior Jazz Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, which aims to promote jazz education for the next generation. If you have any questions or are interested in the supporting the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, contact us, or join our Facebook group.
Stay up-to-date by visiting our Facebook Page! =)