Welcome to the website for the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, an incredible summer music camp in beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina. Our jazz camp and brand new jazz clinic are open to aspiring music students ages 10-20 in middle school, high school and college who wish to improve their jazz skills with an immersive study in improvisation, theory, combos, masterclasses, big band and elective courses with our professional faculty. In 2015, we had 75 students representing 28 schools attend the Hilton Head Jazz Camp from all across the United States. Both the camp and clinic are hosted at Hilton Head Christian Academy, a 13-acre campus, only 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean!
We have currently concluded the 2015 Hilton Head Jazz Clinic and Jazz Camp, but registration will be open for the 2016 jazz clinic and jazz camp by January 2016.
• Hilton Head Jazz Clinic (recommended ages 10-14, projected for July 5-8, 2016): A 3-hour daily jazz clinic with college jazz camp alumni, and finale performance. Instruction is a combination of private lessons, small combos, with instruction in theory/improv geared towards beginning students. A final clinic performance will be held in the HHCA Performing Arts Center on the final day.
• Hilton Head Jazz Camp (recommended ages 14-20, projected for July 11-16, 2016): An intensive week-long camp with 14 full-time professional faculty and national artist-in-resident. With a combination of large big bands, small combos, theory, improv, jam sessions, elective courses, masterclasses and performances, this camp is geared towards intermediate to advanced upper middle and high school students. Fun activities include an ice cream social, faculty recital, private concert at the award winning Jazz Corner, family beach night and camp BBQ. The week concludes with two main performances, a Friday evening camp recital and Saturday afternoon grand finale performance. The 2015 finale performance attracted over 450 guests.
If you are looking at the Hilton Head Jazz Camp for the first time, browse our site to see more details about our location, schedule, tuition rates, placement audition process, scholarship availability, lodging options and read about our terrific faculty here at the HHJC. What are the reasons for choosing the Hilton Head Jazz Camp?
Here are a few stand-out features to our camp including:
- Overnight accommodations for out-of-town students with additional evening activities
- Our artist-in-residence program featuring bassist/vocalist Nicki Parrott, former bassist for the Les Paul Trio
- An expanded daily schedule offering new elective courses
- More scholarship availability, automatic discounts, and much more!
- Brand new fine-arts facilities at Hilton Head Christian Academy, including a new band room, large classroom spaces and Performing Arts Center
- A mid-week private lunch and masterclass at the Jazz Corner, one of the “top 100 jazz clubs in the world” according to Downbeat magazine.
- Two finale concerts: Friday evening at HHCA’s Performing Arts Center (5:30pm) and Saturday afternoon (2pm) at the premier performance venue, the Seahawk Cultural Center. Both concerts are open to the public. Two complimentary tickets are given for each student for the finale concert.
- 15 full-time professional faculty (an incredible 4:1 faculty to student ratio)
- Fresh daily lunch offerings, included for all students attending the Hilton Head Jazz Camp.
We are proudly part of the Junior Jazz Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, which aims to promote jazz education for the next generation. In addition to the Junior Jazz Foundation, we are supported by the ASCAP Foundation Irving Caesar Fund, Delta Sigma Theta and a number of private donors. If you have any questions or are interested in the supporting the Hilton Head Jazz Camp, contact us, or join our Facebook group.
Private Scholarship Donors